Thursday, August 1, 2019

A big move

Big move...living in a different place now. Belleville instead of Moosonee.
Late last fall, after 36 years in Moosonee I moved to Belleville, Ontario. I spent my work hours in Moosonee at Keewaytinok Native Legal Services where I worked as executive director and lawyer. That's a long time to work and live in one place; probably something that few people starting out today will duplicate.
For 21 of those years I lived in a two room apartment in the office. It was not luxurious but it was handy to work. I just walked past the washing machine and into the reception area. I didn't have to go outside at all.
Outside the office was the tidal Moose River and an incredible view of sunrise every morning. Over the years I managed to keep on good terms with some of the local wildlife, particularly the ravens who knew to show up each morning to pick up some breakfast.
Well, all of that is over. Today I live in a seniors apartment project that is much less draft and leaky than my place in Moosonee. If I want to see the sun come up I need to head down to the Bay of Quinte. I don't see any ravens around home although I have spotted a couple in town and I know there are lots out in the country.
Moosonee was an isolated place. No roads led there so I spent a lot of time taking the train back and forth to Cochrane. Moosonee was also an expensive place. Almost always amazed when I go shopping at how cheap things are in comparison.
Because there are no roads to Moosonee it was hard to get things delivered. Nobody wants to ship by rail so it cost a fortune to have anything sent there. Here I can order from amazon and stuff shows up in a day or two. Kind of amazing.
Winter down here is pretty mild although sometimes there is freezing rain but certainly not cold like Moosonee.
Moosonee was a relatively free place in a lot of ways. People did more or less what they wanted unless someone objected very strongly. Belleville is a different world, lots and lots of rules.
Biggest difference between the two places: in Moosonee I knew almost everyone I saw; in Belleville I am pretty much anonymous. Good or bad?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a curse and a blessing. Nice to live in a place where everyone doesn't know every detail of your life, However there are days that are lonely.

    ReplyDelete