Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Remembrance Day

One of the perks of working where I do is that Remembrance Day is a day off. One thing is almost always do is watch the ceremoy from Ottawa at 11 a.m. This year it included both the future King (Prince Charles) and the Governor General.
I also did some scanning of pictures my father gave me. Mostly shots he took when he was in the army. He didn't leave Canada the way other uncles and relatives. His pictures show activity at bases and life in barracks. In one, he is shown with a group in what almost seems like tropical uniforms.
He kept his regular uniforms after the war. In the 50s when I was young it was not uncommon for boys to dress up in elements of their fathers' World War II uniforms. I remember worrying though if we could get in trouble from the police for so doing.

I still have most of the uniforms and am proud that I have a grandson who wants them when I am gone. He knows all about the military service of his greatgrandfathers and his great uncle.

No comments:

Post a Comment